The department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has developed criteria for Consultants who assist the public in obtaining FHA 203(k) renovation financing. If you are applying for one of the FHA 203(k) loans, you would be required to select one of these HUD Certified Consultants to use for your project.

Certified HUD 203(k) Consultants are required for full FHA 203(k) renovation loans and would be optional if your renovations cost less than $35,000. If the repairs are less than $35,000 but have any structural or mechanical repairs, your lender may require the use of a Certified HUD Consultant and will have to approve the repairs if you are not using a consultant.


A Feasibility Inspection may be a good option for most people to evaluate the property and get a Consultant’s report and estimate before seeking a contractor estimate.